25 March 2011

Suzanne Collins

David's Aunt introduced us to Suzanne Collins years ago when she gave us The Underland Chronicles to read. She has decided David will be the next great children's fiction author, so she makes it a point to read all the children's fiction she can get her hands on. She gave us these because she thought they were good and wanted him to read them. 


The Underland Chronicles follow Gregor, a young New York City boy, as he discovers and explores the Underland. Apparently, (I just learned this reading the amazon page I linked!) she got this idea when she was thinking about Alice and Wonderland and how foreign that world must feel to kids who grew up in the city (Brilliant!).


Needless to say, we love these books, and they are definitely on the long list of books I'm excited to read my children. So when a friend of mine told me Suzanne Collins had written another series, I was very excited.


The Hunger Games Series is about a teenage girl named Katniss and her adventures in the post-apocalyptic United States. I don't want to tell you much more about them, because I've only read the first book so far (I'm currently sitting on my couch anxiously awaiting the arrival of the last two by UPS... They went out for delivery at 7:06 this morning.) and I don't want to read summaries of the other two and spoil them for myself!


The point? I recommend all 8 of these books for all of you to read! Although one series is for kids and the other for teens (I find that we read a lot of kids/teen books...) they are both appropriate and entertaining for all ages! Pick them up at your local library (Or buy them, they're worth it!) and read them as soon as you can!

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love that you like kid/teen books too! I am also a fan of your new heading thing for the blog. see you tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i LOVED the hunger games series. i read book two in about a week. then (of course) had to buy the third without waiting, so i bought it on my kindle. :) you should consider getting a kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading The Hunger Games right now! I love it so far! I'll have to try the other series, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, you should read the Underland Chronicles! They are just as awesome!
    The books came in the mail about 30 seconds after I posted this, so there will be no more waiting! Wahoo.

    Corrie, definitely read the others! They are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know they're making The Hunger Games into a movie? I didn't know what the big deal was until I read this post...

    ReplyDelete